« They Just Say Stuff | Main | MORE Debt »

April 29, 2005

Apology To Firefox Users

Firefox users, I apologize for the gray background that you see for a few seconds. I also use Firefox so I see it, too. I'm trying to find out how to fix this so everyone sees the same thing. Blame Microsoft.

Posted by Dave Johnson at April 29, 2005 9:34 AM

Comments

Much though I would like to blame Microsoft, I really don't think it's their fault. Blame Tom DeLay.

Posted by: Ereshkigal at April 29, 2005 11:16 AM

...I'll blame both of them and throw in Frist and Dobson for good measure. This gray screen nonsense is obviously an attack on progressive persons of faith...

Posted by: Jack K. at April 29, 2005 2:14 PM

It's the (mumble mumble) conservative default for nglayout.initialpaint (mumble mumble) thing. Why not try replacing the table layout with some css floats? Also check where your styles are getting imported from, bottlenecks on yr bandwidth, etc. (Sorry I am too exhausted to be more helpful here. Try bugzilla and Google...)

Posted by: Decklin Foster at April 29, 2005 6:29 PM

FYI - It's happening in Safari also.

Posted by: Leslie Turek at April 30, 2005 5:20 AM

happens in safari and camino as well, but only lasts a few seconds...no big deal

Posted by: joe in oklahoma at April 30, 2005 7:57 AM

safari and camino both catch the grey for a few seconds...
no biggie

Posted by: joe in oklahoma at April 30, 2005 8:07 AM

The problem must be the browser.

The grey is coming from the background color of the page body (#666666 - what do you suppose Jim Dobson would make of this ?); The white is the background color of the container on top of the page.

Since the stylesheet is at the same url (seeingtheforest.com) as the page, I don't think it's a bandwidth issue so much, except that it's going to takes few seconds to download the whole thing (big page - lots of links, etc.). I think these browsers just load the background first; not sure what you could do there other than giving the page a white background - but you probably don't want to lose the grey border (even if it is satanic). And that won't make the thing load any quicker either.

Posted by: acerimusdux at May 2, 2005 7:48 PM