« Bad in IE? | Main | People's Park »

April 2, 2005

If You Can See This

If you are using Internet Explorer - and if you can even see this - Do you know why posts and text might be disappearing? And I do mean disappearing - big spaces where there should be text... Sometimes you can see the top half of a line of text but not the bottom half.

It is just fine in Firefox. Aside from asking everyone to switch to Firefox (you should) I guess I should fix this problem. Any suggestions? Also, for text sizes...

The problems of switching to a new blogging system...

Update - I'm closing in on the problem thanks to an e-mail from a reader. It's a known IE bug, and shows up commonly with Movable Type blogs. Check here for an example. (The font color fix and the .content style color fixes are good, thanks, but didn't fix this.)

Posted by Dave Johnson at April 2, 2005 10:52 AM

Comments

I mentioned this in a comment on the other thread... You have a stray "font color" tag in your main index page template. That's the problem.

Posted by: Ed Bott at April 2, 2005 2:37 PM

That's already been taken out.

Posted by: Dave Johnson at April 2, 2005 2:39 PM

But it's still cutting out parts of lines...

Posted by: Dave Johnson at April 2, 2005 2:41 PM

Using IE and haven't had a problem yet.

Posted by: Karen at April 2, 2005 2:42 PM

I just looked at it again on IE, and the problems I had before are now gone. Font size is good, etc. No loss of text. It looks somewhat different than on Safari, but not bad!

BTW, I have IE 5.2 for Mac, if that makes a difference. Maybe more recent versions are cutting out text, but this version is now doing fine (although it wasn't before).

Posted by: cookie at April 2, 2005 3:04 PM

Looks OK to me.

Posted by: The Green Knight at April 2, 2005 4:16 PM

I'm writing this comment using IE. It looked a little weird this morning, but everything seems fine this evening. I'll generally be using Safari, though.

Posted by: MJ at April 2, 2005 4:50 PM

In your stylesheet, in this rule:

.content p.posted {
	color: #ff9999;
	font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
	font-size: 11px;

text-align: left;

margin-bottom: 25px;
line-height: normal;
padding: 3px;
}

If you remove the "padding: 3px;", then that seems to fix the missing text problem. I don't know why -- I just narrowed it down to that by a process of elimination. It fixes the problem on my computer anyway. Whether it fixes it on everyone's computer I don't know -- there might be some flakiness involved. I don't believe there is anything illegal with that line; I think it must be an IE bug. You ought to run your HTML through the validator at w3.org all the same -- your HTML contains much bogosity.

Posted by: Dan Phillips at April 2, 2005 6:37 PM

I've switched to Firefox some time ago, of course. However, on IE, it looks mostly okay. Occasionally a "link to this" response line only half-appears or disappears completely. Sometimes it reappears after scrolling off the screen then back on.

Posted by: John Morrison at April 2, 2005 6:37 PM

I'm using IE and it's cutting off some of the "posted by..." lines at the bottom of your posts.

Unfortunately I don't know a thing about how to fix this kind of stuff. Just thought you'd like to know.

Posted by: carla at April 2, 2005 7:31 PM

remove:
	background-color: #FFFFFF;

from your .content style.

Background color is already set white by that point and if I remove that line, the problem disappears.

Posted by: DrLaniac at April 2, 2005 8:17 PM

I'm not having any trouble reading posts, as I'm a Firefox fanatic, but I do have one issue to report on.

If I enter the address "http://seeingtheforest.com", I get redirected to the old Blogger site.

I have to enter "http://www.seeingtheforest.com" to get to the new site.

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I'm too lazy to look through other comment threads.

Posted by: Forrest at April 3, 2005 1:13 AM

Using IE6/win98 I've seen no problems so far. I have often noticed a vanishing text problem on "Blogging of the President". Don't know if that's relevant to you but I've found the text can be recovered by highlighting and the problem seems to involve the user-side "Text Size" setting.

Speaking of that, I am very pleased to find that your new site now allows the reader to alter the font sizing. That's a lot easier on my aging eyes, especially with a high-res monitor. Some sites are just impossible for me to read.

Posted by: redkitty at April 3, 2005 7:12 AM

Three phrases should be among the most common in our daily usage. They are: Thank you, I am grateful and I appreciate.

Posted by: sizegenetics at December 7, 2005 6:04 PM