« Killing the filibuster to save the filibuster | Main | "7 Republicans abandon GOP on filibuster" »

May 24, 2005

Conversations

A couple weeks ago:

Wife, "They keep adding more work that I have to do."

Me, "Are you getting a raise, too?"

Wife, "Nope."

This morning:

Roommate, "It sounds like my workload is going to get a lot heavier."

ME, "Are they gonna pay you more?"

Roommate, "Nope."

Posted by Dave Johnson at May 24, 2005 8:18 AM

Comments

Yeah, welcome to my world. I'll bet you're going to find a lot of us out there.

Even better is we could all be outsourced at any time.

Dave From Battlefield

Posted by: Dave From Battlefield at May 24, 2005 8:45 AM

I went through two years of that starting nine years ago. Our crew went from 3.6 FTE to 1.0, and I was the 1.0. I wasn't doing 3.6 FTE of work, but it was a lot more work requiring a lot more skills and causing 10x the stress for about a 25% pay increase. I came very close to losing it.

My boss was an ambitious futurological true believer. I could just imagine her graphing the productivity increases in area to show off at management meetings -- I started having violent fantasies. It took me ~18 months to find a new job once I started looking.

Posted by: John Emerson at May 24, 2005 9:17 AM

This is the future. I am a supervisor in a large tech company. I have seen my technicians go from 11 to 6 with the same work load. Merit increases are minimal, 2-3% a year. I would like to get a new car for the family but because of the uncertain future I am waiting some sign of job security. This I is the new economy & Bush recoveryl.

Posted by: Ned at May 24, 2005 9:39 AM

Wait a minute... you have a wife and a roommate? Or has your relationship changed?

Because I am sure, as comments suggest, the increase of workload without commensurate increase in pay is a fairly common occurrence. It must surely have a stressful effect on families and relationships across the country.

Of course, I'm guessing neither your wife nor your roommate are in the army or national guard, where the job gets harder and more dangerous, and the pay and benefits are not only not increasing, but are actually being cut.

Sincerely, though, I hope your wife has not become your "roommate."

Posted by: Brendo at May 24, 2005 11:09 AM

I guess that lousy economic situation is one reason why you have a wife AND a roommate. :)

Posted by: Elayne Riggs at May 24, 2005 11:28 AM

Got my hair cut today, and the hair dresser and her fiance have not one but TWO roomates, in a four bedroom house. That's what you have to do to afford a house in San Diego these days, I guess. They plan to sell the house and buy property with her parents, and put two mobile units on it after they get married...

Posted by: donna at May 24, 2005 10:29 PM

I'm to the point of looking for a second "job", if I could ever find the time.

Posted by: Thomas Ware at May 25, 2005 1:08 PM