« MSM | Main | Government and Party and Corporation Merge »

May 7, 2005

Time To Donate To Dems

From Robert Novak's column:

DEAN'S DEBACLE

Democratic National Committee (DNC) fund raising under the chairmanship of Howard Dean shows a disappointing $16.7 million raised in the first quarter of 2005, compared with $34 million reported by the Republicans.

That tends to confirm dire predictions by old-line Democratic fund-raisers of a fall-off in money if Dean became chairman. He had promised to bring in heavy individual contributions, as he did in his 2004 campaign for president. But the DNC in the first quarter received only $13 million from individuals, compared to $31 million for the Republican National Committee (RNC).

Throw some money to the Dems!

Posted by Dave Johnson at May 7, 2005 10:31 AM

Comments

You can do what you want....but I'm not throwing a fucking thing to them till I see, for sure, which way the wind is blowing in the Democratic Party. I want someone who is not afraid to take these motherfuckers on. When I see that person, or persons, I will open my wallet and give of my time. But for someone like Evan Bayh? Na, na, fuck that. when pigs sprout wings I'll support a prick like that.

Posted by: jon st at May 7, 2005 1:54 PM

And I guess this disparity in donations has nothing to do with the huge corporate money thrown to the GOP for all this wonderful legislation sending their profits up through the roof.

Posted by: Karen at May 7, 2005 2:09 PM

Myself not being a democrat I don't feel obliged to ever donate to the party, but I can understand why those inside aren't doing it either. All we hear in the media is that the democrats are obstucting legislation, and not offering anything positive. Nationally, I'd have to say I agree with the assessment that aren't really doing anything progressive. Not that it's really their fault, but being the minority, there's not much they can do.

Like a previous person alluded to, the dems have got to do something worth donating for before people will open up their wallets.

I don't think the situation is as bad as it seems. Once the presidential election cycle starts, with Hilary as a possible candidate the fund raising will take care of itself.

Posted by: moose at May 7, 2005 5:30 PM

My main beef is that the Dems in power aren't obstructing *enough*. Even symbolic resistance to an immoral majority is important.

Posted by: paperwight at May 7, 2005 5:56 PM

Jon,

You'll sit back and do nothing while "they" take care of things? I got news for you, the Democratic Party is a WE, not a they. Get involved. Show up at county Democratic Party meetings. Then YOU will be the "they" that decides who does what.

Posted by: Dave Johnson at May 7, 2005 7:12 PM

Hey David, I like you. And I respect your work. And I suspect we are on the same side. But if I didn't like you what I would say to you is:

1.I've been working for the Dem party since I was 14. I organized the first anti-war (Vietnam) group in my High School. I worked for anti-war canidates.
2. I was drafted into the USMC in 1968.(yeah, they were drafting people into the Corps in 1968) Orgainzed Vietnam Viets against the War inside myy respective units when I returned. Was locked up for doing so.
3. I worked for McGovern in 1972. I protested the war. Locked up for doing so
4. I became a union member...worked for Dems organizing. Locked up for doing so.
5 I became a lawyer. Worked for Dems and still worked for Dems.

I could say a lot more to you, if I didn't like you. But as I said....I like you.

I'm not giving them money blindly! Period. And I'll tell you why....two things move politics. Passion and money. Without the passion the money is useless. When I see PASSION, real fuckin' passion, among the Dem leaders I'll know the time is right. But not until then. Because the lack of passion will clearly signal who the fuck is in charge. And I am not working for corporate Dems any more. I will work WITH them....sure, I'm all for the big tent. But NOT FOR them. To do otherwise runs smack against the my values, my common sense, and my country. So right back at ya David.

Posted by: jon st at May 8, 2005 4:00 AM

The sad fact of the matter is the Democrats in office have turned their backs on us. By that I mean Congressional Dems for the most part can't hand progressives and vulnerable populations over to the neocons fast enough to suit themselves. When they surrendered us to the credit card companies, I was done with the Democratic Party.

You know, I can barely pay my rent, but if I have an extra $10 it's going to the local food bank, because unlike my elected officials I can't vote myself a pay raise, and neither can the people whose livelihoods disappeared while the Dems looked the other way.

These rich people have a lot of nerve asking for my money,

Posted by: Tata at May 8, 2005 10:12 AM

no, I don't mind rich people asking for money....so long as they want to fight the GOP. Anybody wants to fight the GOP, i mean REALLY fight the GOP agenda...I'm with them. Either on the barricades...or by giving them money. But, no fight? No money. But if you don't have money you don't have it. Understood. However, maybe there are other ways to give.

Posted by: jon st at May 8, 2005 10:52 AM

Jon,

Then I understand where you're coming from. I was even a Green for a while, but realized that was destructive rather than constructive. All I can say is the grassroots ARE taking over the party, and it is making a difference. People who really do care, like Sen. Reid, are trying to change the way they understand and do things. Look at how they are holding together on Social Security - not a single Dem defection. (The absence of Zell and a few others is also making a difference becaus ethe Dem leadership doesn't have to worry about losing their seats...)

The resisters and DLC types are being moved out of the way. You'll see some real changes hitting the surface - visibility - in the not-too-distant future. Dean is very active, but his activity is in out-of-the-way areas where the Party organization has been very very weak. He's building up the foundations. Meanwhile Simon Rosenberg and Rob Stein are initiating the think tank, communications organization infrastructure which will take several years to get going but will pay off long-term.

Chris Bowers at MyDD wrote the other day about the generational divide, where older Dems think of themselves as a majority party with a responsibility to govern, and younger Dems see the party as always losing and backing down from the Right. The younger Dems are heading toward the drivers seat and you'll see and feel the difference soon.

Posted by: Dave Johnson at May 8, 2005 2:20 PM

The real question isn't whether the GOP outraises the Dems- the GOP always outraises the Dems, since they've got more for sale.
The question is, how has Dean affected DNC funding year-over-year. Are the Dems growing faster than the GOP, or not?
Since I trust Novak about as far as I could throw a Waffle House full of shit, Im gonna bet he presented the most favorable statistic, and that the actual meaningful numbers (eg percentage gain) are better for us.

Posted by: Carleton Wu at May 8, 2005 10:28 PM

I agree with those who hesitate to help Democrats. I am one and helped Melissa Bean's campaign in the eighth district of Illinois. I checked her voting record recently and she voted with Repubs on the bankruptcy legislation,the Schiavo interference and the "obscenity" fine legislation. Guess I helped elect a repub.

Posted by: Ralph at May 9, 2005 1:40 PM