« Lies and Strategic Lies | Main | Change Wal-Mart »

June 19, 2005

9000 Americans Dead in Iraq?

I saw this at Huffington Post earlier, but this gives me a chance to link to the excellent corrente. Surely Not

A Bush-watcher website identified as TBRNews.org is reporting under the byline of "domestic intelligence reporter" Brian Harring that the Department of Defense is using a cynical tactic to mislead the public regarding the true death toll for American military personnel in Iraq. Harring claims he has an internal pdf. file from the D.O.D. which establishes that nearly 9000 Americans have died in Operation Iraqi Freedom, but that the official number has been held to 1713 by designating as Iraq deaths only those who perish on Iraqi soil. The remainder, he says, are military personnel who have died en route to Germany or in German hospitals-- casualties of the war, but not listed in the official death toll.
Update - More here. Click through to debunking.)

Update - More debunking here.

Posted by Dave Johnson at June 19, 2005 9:37 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 9000 Americans Dead in Iraq?:

» Don't be fooled. The peddling of a lie. from Dr. Laniac's Laboratory
I smelled something fishy. 7,000 under-reported deaths? I didn't think that would be easily hidden. So I checked the comments and someone said the guy behind the site went by various aliases and had been soundly discredited. She suggested a Google sear... [Read More]

Tracked on June 19, 2005 11:45 AM

» Dick Durbin, "Er...this is uncomfortable." from Mark in Mexico
Dick Durbin discovers that some other people, besides our Nazi, Pol Pot-tish gulag managers at Gitmo, torture people, too. Durbin probably will ask for a report on the number of cells at Gitmo which are equipped with electric wires, a noose, handcuff... [Read More]

Tracked on June 19, 2005 8:16 PM

Comments

The consensus at Corrente is to search for the truth. The source of this article might not be reliable.

Posted by: Nancy at June 19, 2005 11:21 AM

If this is true (and it seem dubious), then I can;t see how the administration could survive.

Posted by: baggimp at June 19, 2005 12:10 PM

Molly Ivins @ Working For A Change wrote about this two weeks ago, which began crystalized in my mind questions Suzie @ Suburban Guerrilla began asking back in February. I found it then as I find it now entirely plausable. At the historical causualty to deployment rate of 1:15 the numbers round out about right (thanks TD, I beg to differ).

It's not like Bush hasn't lied or anything (DSM). You see the same kind of reaction to this as you do "Bush knew about 9/11" or BushCo was some how involved (Reichstag... "nooooooo, the president would never do something like that!" Sometimes I think the left is in a greater state of denial than the right.

Posted by: Thomas Ware at June 19, 2005 12:29 PM

No, no no. FALSE. The guy peddling this disinformation on TBRNews is a holocaust denier. TBR stands for The Barnes Review - an anti-semitic holocaust denying site.

Posted by: DrLaniac at June 19, 2005 12:41 PM

Thanks DrLaniac. I tracked down the site, too and found it a bit odd in its interests. I googled the author's name and came up with nothing, then I e-mailed the site admin asking for references to more articles, for the writer's bonafides. Nothing. Your earlier post on Storch got the goods....

Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2005 1:49 PM

I simply followed up on the work of others and raised the alert. Kudos go to the readers of DKos, SPLC and various other alert consumers of information.

Posted by: DrLaniac at June 19, 2005 1:53 PM

And just how do we get the real story on this? Is this why we're not supposed to see photographs of those caskets shipped back from Iraq and, apparently, from elsewhere? That's certainly been fishy from the beginning. Probably not because anyone would count them, but because we're not supposed to be aware of "real" deaths. We don't have any real figures on how many are wounded, how many die in Iraq in situations other than combat, or, especially, how many Iraqis have died as a result of this war. The truth is, under these circumstances, one death is too damned many.

Congress can't seem to get any accurate figures on how many prisoners there are in that "resort" in Cuba either. So how long do we put up with the secretive shit?

Posted by: MJ at June 19, 2005 3:11 PM

There have been whispers of deflated casualty figures for several months. The most authoritative source for U.S. Casualties in Iraq is Global Security.org.

The total casualty count:

Wounded in Action 2,442

Non-battle injury 5,325

Disease? 10,452

When you consider the acknowledged fact that kevlar vests have resulted in a higher percentage of serious traumatic head wounds than in any previous war, it is very likely that the official number of deaths in Iraq has been under-reported.

To the best of my knowledge, there has not been any report or data on how many injured soldiers who are evacuated to Germany die on German soil.

I have no idea what to make of 10,452 cases of disease. Would that include American soldiers who have been exposed to depleted uranium? How else would illness due to depleted uranium exposure be listed?

Posted by: GaryBoatwright at June 19, 2005 9:12 PM

Here is a pdf file of American Casualties:

Operation Iraqi Freedom includes casualties that occured in Iraq, but could include other countries to include Germany and the United States. These casualties are mutally exclusive of Operation Enduring Freedom.

As of January 1, 2005 there were 1,200 total deaths and 944 KIA.

My reading of that summary is that it may not include deaths that occur in German hospitals. I do not believe that GI deaths in German hospitals are included in the casualty count for the Iraq war. I can't prove it, but it does not seem likely that all of the traumatic brain injured GIs who are evacuated to Germany survive.

Unless someone can find a source of documented GI deaths in German hospitals, I believe it is a sound conclusion that GI deaths are being seriously under reported. The extent of the under reporting will be very difficult to document.

Posted by: GaryBoatwright at June 19, 2005 9:32 PM

Over at Lunaville there are 24 listed deaths in German hospitals. I think it was 34 more deaths in American hospitals.

That's less than 60 deaths out of a total of over 18,000 casualties evacuated from Iraq. Something is not adding up.

Posted by: GaryBoatwright at June 20, 2005 1:06 AM

The source of this "information" is a holocaust denier. It's ultra right-wing disinformation.

There's probably some under-reporting, but in the dozens, not hundreds or thousands. That would be exposed too easily by pissed off relatives. Stick to legitimate information. "Reality-based community" remember?

9,000 dead and the Reality-Based Community