« Joint Statement on Climate Change by Science Academies WorldWide | Main | The Face Of Terrorism: Iowa Grandmother/School Principal with butter knife? »

June 8, 2005

George Bush on Climate Change: "I believe that not only can we solve a greenhouse gas, I believe we will."

-- by Thomas Leavitt

Here's George Bush's response to recent lobbying efforts by Tony Blair on climate change, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation:

"GEORGE BUSH: See there's a lot of things we're doing* in America, and I believe that not only can we solve a greenhouse gas, I believe we will. And I appreciate the Prime Minister bringing this issue up and I look forward to sharing that which we know here in America with not only the G8 members, but equally importantly, with developing countries."

I had to read it through several times before I was able to convince myself that this wasn't a parody.

* the transcript says "going", but I listened to the audio (accompanying the article), and he clearly says "doing"... the rest of the quote is accurate.

Posted by Thomas Leavitt at June 8, 2005 12:48 PM

Comments

Why, it's just President Mangle Mouth at his best/worst, Thomas!

Posted by: Helga Fremlin at June 8, 2005 1:41 PM

Articulate president we have, don't we?

As for "a greenhouse gas" one solution's gonna be that we're running out of oil. That the cost of gasoline is so high isn't gonna hurt, either. When hit in the pocketbook people become a lot more careful how much they drive.

Posted by: MJ at June 8, 2005 4:14 PM

Maybe a little beano?? What an idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous at June 8, 2005 8:26 PM

This link below tells it like is about climate change. Check it out.

Posted by: Anonymous at June 8, 2005 11:54 PM

Anyone seen Steve Bell's cartoon about the Blair and Bush talks - http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/stevebell/0,7371,1501724,00.html

(there's a long-running thing of Bush being a monkey and Blair a dog)

Blair goes out on a cringeworthy mission to show British involvement in Iraq has bought influence with America. They are supposed to come up with something about climate change and aid/debt relief to Africa. Bush re-pledges money mostly already earmarked for overseas aid, and says fuck all on climate change.

therefore, Blair is a pug.

Posted by: Polly at June 9, 2005 7:12 AM

And, don't forget, we now it was Exxon who initiated the "global warming does not exist" campaign within the Bush ADministrtion

Posted by: patrick at June 9, 2005 2:36 PM