« California National Guard Investigation blocked | Main | Pick a Judge, Not a Fight! »

July 8, 2005

Blaming

Doings over at Daily Kos: Daily Kos: The conspiracists

Today I did something I've never done before (not even during the Fraudster mess), and wish I'd never had to do.

I made a mass banning of people perpetuating a series of bizarre, off-the-wall, unsupported and frankly embarassing conspiracy theories.

I have a high tolerance level for material I deem appropriate for this site, but one thing I REFUSE to allow is bullshit conspiracy theories. You know the ones -- Bush and Blair conspired to bomb London in order to take the heat off their respective political problems. I can't imagine what fucking world these people live in, but it sure ain't the Reality Based Community.

So I banned these people, and those that have been recommending diaries like it. And I will continue to do so until the purge is complete, and make no mistake -- this is a purge.

This is a reality-based community. Those who wish to live outside it should find a new home. This isn't it.

I respectfully request that people here at Seeing the Forest refrain from talk about Jews being behind the bombings, if you please. Right wing fascists ... you can comment. Myself, I doubt it.

Update - I'm not saying I'll ban anyone, I was just saying please refrain from blaming Jews. I've been hearing that and getting e-mails and didn't want to see it here. I think that stuff is coming from Nazi types or even maybe Islamist fascist propaganda. I was going to post something asking people not to leave comments saying the Jews did it when I saw Kos's post and decided to use that to say it.

Posted by Dave Johnson at July 8, 2005 9:50 AM

Comments

What if the "right wing fascists" just happen to be jewish? Just wondering.

Posted by: richard at July 8, 2005 10:06 AM

Re Kos and his "make no mistake -- this is a purge":

Wouldn't it be peachy if demcorats were even A TENTH as eager to purge the fucking center-rightists, accomodationists, cowards and corporate shills that have destroyed the party and perhaps fatally damaged the country? Wouldn't it?

Posted by: richard at July 8, 2005 10:10 AM

By deception shalt thou practice War

Posted by: Thomas Ware at July 8, 2005 10:10 AM

JEWISH right-wingers, fascist or not, are fair game. Also for Darwin awards.

Posted by: Dave Johnson at July 8, 2005 11:59 AM

Heh.

Posted by: richard at July 8, 2005 12:04 PM

Keep an open mind to new evidence while rejecting the absurd.

Posted by: Michael Miller at July 8, 2005 3:47 PM

A couple of the Kos rejects seem to have showed up on my most recent post.

Posted by: John Emerson at July 8, 2005 9:22 PM

Posted by: Marblex at July 9, 2005 10:02 AM

Anyone who doesn't at least briefly consider the possibility that these terrorist attacks are an 'inside job' is delusional. Read "How Wall Street Created a Nation" or "War is a Racket" or "Honorable Treachery" if you are laboring under the misapprehension that Uncle Sam is above such misdeeds.

Posted by: Brad at July 9, 2005 12:07 PM

A year or so ago I did quite extensive research on pre-2001 Bush-Saudi relations, enough to cause me to be regarded as a conspiracy theorist myself. But the Israeli-complicity / CIA-conspiracy theories are really too much, and there's no need for them. I don't see a lot of big mysteries in what happened in London or NYC. The Bush administration is extraordinarily dishonest, but there are some things they're not guilty of.

Posted by: John Emerson at July 9, 2005 7:29 PM

It is all very upsetting, Emerson, but this time you (and Kos) have lost me. Let's say for the sake of argument that Bush & Blair did get together and decide it would be a great idea to blow up London (although that's not actually the way these things work -- deniability and all that -- which is why you have covert operatives). Anyway, last time I checked, neither Bush nor Blair were Jewish. As a matter of fact, the Bush family has three generations of strong ties to the Nazis and trhe Saudis.

Blaming "the Jews" for anything is ridiculous, since "the Jews" are not a unified collective agent in initiating actions. In this case it is particularly ridiculous, since if it is true (and not just a rumor) that Scotland Yard warned Israeli authorities just before the bombings -- why would you have to warn somebody of something they already knew?

Posted by: priscianus jr at July 9, 2005 8:09 PM

Supplement to the above, from stratfor.com
(excerpt):

"Contrary to original claims that Israel was warned “minutes before” the first attack, unconfirmed rumors in intelligence circles indicate that the Israeli government actually warned London of the attacks “a couple of days” previous. Israel has apparently given other warnings about possible attacks that turned out to be aborted operations. The British government did not want to disrupt the G-8 summit in Gleneagles, Scotland, or call off visits by foreign dignitaries to London, hoping this would be another false alarm.
"The British government sat on this information for days and failed to respond. Though the Israeli government is playing along publicly, it may not stay quiet for long. This is sure to apply pressure on Blair very soon for his failure to deter this major terrorist attack.
For more breaking intelligence on this and other stories, please visit premium.stratfor.com.
(direct page) http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/premium.php

Posted by: priscianus jr at July 9, 2005 8:49 PM

I recommend namebase.org as a jumping off point for anyone who wants to research the various 'conspiracy theories' in circulation. They do a pretty good job of sticking to reality. The stories seem well researched by professional journalists who adhere to accepted journalistic standards, and the site does a good job of criticizing theories that lack merit. A good place to start is their review of a hard-to-find book titled "Trail of the Octopus: From Beirut to Lockerbie." The book shows how professional jealosy among spies, callousness with regard to civillian life and greed, corruption and hubris led to the Lockerbie tragedy, and how the story was twisted in the press to pin the bombing on Libya, which probably had nothing to do with it.
BTW, today's NYT has a story on Mitterand's stamp of approval on the sinking of the Greenpeace ship "Rainbow Warrior" in New Zealand. Makes it rather difficult to tell the good guys from the bad guys, eh?

Posted by: Brad at July 10, 2005 7:53 AM