« Bush's America | Main | Where Did the $9 BILLION Go? »

July 11, 2005

Guns, Germs and Steel

-- by Gary Boatwright

Tonight is the first part of a three part PBS series on Guns, Germs and Steel.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is an artful, informative, and delightful book, full of surprises… there is nothing like a radically new angle of vision for bringing out unsuspected dimensions of a subject, and that is what Jared Diamond has done.” – William H. McNeill, The New York Review of Books

“Diamond has written a book of remarkable scope . . . one of the most important and readable works on the human past published in recent years."— Colin Renfrew, Nature

"The scope and explanatory power of this book are astounding."— The New Yorker

Posted by Gary Boatwright at July 11, 2005 1:42 PM

Comments

Timely reminder! Thanks.

I was fascinated by Diamond's book. Time to break in the DVR.

Posted by: Boadicea at July 11, 2005 4:20 PM

Good to see you again Boadicea.

I encourage everyone to stop by and Say Howdy to Boadicea at We Are The Resistance. A couple of my recent favorites:

Excerpts from last week's blogger conference with Chris Bell.

Real Wounded Warriors Need Our Help

Support our Troops. Bring them home. Heal their Wounds.

Tell the truth.

Good stuff Boadicea.

Posted by: GaryBoatwright at July 11, 2005 9:58 PM

Great book. I highly recommend it.

Posted by: Bribes at July 12, 2005 2:00 AM

Thanks for the tip, I've got that on DVR and have watched the first half. Excellent stuff.

Posted by: DrLaniac at July 12, 2005 6:03 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Gary.

I'm working on a video project that's taking up most of my available non-work hours. So I'm not updating as frequently as I'd like to. That should all be done by the end of this month though. It's a good thing. I'm itching to throw a rhetorical elbow or two.

I like what y'all have done with this place, by the way.

Posted by: Boadicea at July 14, 2005 2:13 AM

I read Diamond's "Collapse", and was very impressed. I recommend it to everyone I think has the requisite normal brain cells, and I look forward to reading Guns, Germs and Steel.

However, I still credit Oswald Spengler for enlightening me on the nature of human society, far more so than anyone since.

Posted by: TR at July 14, 2005 4:51 PM