« Rove Kept Security Leak To Himself???? | Main | Is Judy Miller Deep Throat? »

July 15, 2005

Three Years

Today is Seeing the Forest's third birthday!

Click here to see Seeing the Forest's first post, but the second one was more interesting. The seventh one set the theme.

One of my favorites:

The Retirement Plan of the Unemployed Man
I took a trip down to the local liquor store to put a couple of dollars into the retirement plan. It’s up to $86 million this week. So I was thinking about what I’ll do with the money, and I started thinking about the taxes. Then I realized that rich people get rich by inheriting money, while working people (or unemployed people) get rich by winning the lottery. The Republicans say that people who get their money from inheritance shouldn’t have to pay any taxes. But I’m going to have to pay a huge amount of taxes when I win tomorrow night. It’s just one more way The Man beats you down.
Thanks skippy for reminding me.

Posted by Dave Johnson at July 15, 2005 3:29 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Three Years:

» Resistance Is Feudal from Pacific Views
Digby explains the state of delusion that key members of the Bush cabal maintain permanent residence in: ...Anyway, it's imnportant to remember that within this administration are a whole bunch of people who think that the CIA is made up... [Read More]

Tracked on July 16, 2005 3:01 AM

Comments

Happy bogaversary! Here's to many more.

Posted by: CE Petro at July 15, 2005 5:31 PM

Thanks for giving us a place to stalk in the search of the substance and the undoing of our nightmares.

My anniversary gift to you is an all expence paid trip to the frameshop.

Enjoy!

Posted by: grannyinsanity at July 15, 2005 5:51 PM

Happy Anniversary,
Happy Anniversary,
Happy Anniversary,

Happy,
Happy,

Aniversary!!

Thanks Dave for 3 years of enlghtenment.

PayPal forthcomming :)

Your pal..

Posted by: BadGimp at July 15, 2005 8:04 PM

Happy belated blogiversary, guys!

Posted by: Elayne Riggs [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 16, 2005 9:48 AM

There's a bunch of third blogiversaries going around - has it really been that long?

We can change the world.

Posted by: Thomas Ware at July 16, 2005 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the great work you do with this blog to enlighten and inspire.

aloha,
eyesopen

Posted by: eyesopen at July 16, 2005 3:42 PM

A belated, but nevertheless, hearty congratulations! I know that when I finally encountered blogs, yours was one of the first I found and it always continues to be one of my favorites. Hip-hip Hurray!

Posted by: Mary at July 16, 2005 6:19 PM

Happy very belated Blogiversary! And, as with Mary, I too visited your blog as one of the first encountered in my early voyages into the world of blogs; and, you remain one of my favorites.

Posted by: gbreez at July 16, 2005 7:39 PM

Loved your "second-ever" post... it provides an ironic statement on why the union movement has been a failure over the last 30 yrs.

In the union movement we learned the hard way that the only way to fight the moneyed interests is to stick together. It's called SOLIDARITY. It's what "union" MEANS.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!-- I'll bet a lot of people's experiences growing up in this country while it was 35-40% unionized sound like mine...

My father was a steelworker- United SteelWorkers of America Local# 2173... Worked at the Timken bearing plant in Columbus for 18 years until his untimely death in 1982 from cancer at the age of 42(Ask me how effective his "union-negotiated" health insurance was...).

During the energy crises of the 70s, and the initial onslaught of foreign steel imports(Japanese at the time) illustrating the fallacies of union labor rates, they went on strike... when they settled, they had a "two-tier" compensation program(much lower wages for new hires, with a slower increase schedule)- but they all paid the exact same union dues. I guess you call that Solidarity! And, That's what "Union" MEANS!

Fast-forward 8 years to the mid-80s... My mother is a cashier at Kroger's- and a union member(United Food and Commercial Workers Local# 1059). They go on strike for over a year(the only people still getting paid are the union officials)- settle with absolutely no gains on any of their demands- and allow the company to create a "two-tier" compensation program(much lower wages for new hires, with a slower increase schedule)- but they all paid the exact same union dues. Another example of what Solidarity! and That's what "Union" MEANS!

To many of us, these examples sounded more like, "We've got ours!...", hence the decline in union membership we have witnessed over the last 40 years.

Posted by: Scott [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 17, 2005 5:53 PM

Cheers, Dave. Keep 'em coming.

All the best.