« Photos, Coverage | Main | What Your Leaders Read -- "Dangerous" »

September 8, 2005

Detainment Camps

Detainment Camps at BOPNews.

Posted by Dave Johnson at September 8, 2005 8:45 AM

Comments

They seem to have been letting people go in and out of the Astrodome. I'm going to be able to get first-hand reports from the camp set up in Arkansas. The husband of one of my best friends has been assigned as a guard there. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 8, 2005 9:18 AM

Here's the first reply:

I'll ask Chuck if the people are allowed to leave. I don't think they are, though. I drove past the sports center in town here, one of the places they're using as a facility, and it looked like the place was being guarded - deputies at the gate, checking who went in and out. Still, you hear on tv about people who've gotten jobs in new towns, and you'd have to leave to do that. I'll ask.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 5:38 AM

Thanks for the link, Dave.

BTW, here is a great site for updates from inside the Astrodome in Houston as well:

Posted by: Shaula Evans [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 6:41 AM

So here's what's happening in Arkansas:

I asked Chuck about whether our local evacuees can come and go freely and he said while he was there a couple of people came to the gate to leave and he called his superior because no one had said anything about what they should do if someone wanted to go in or out. That's some guard job - a gate, a guard, no instructions re. anybody! His superior hadn't been told anything, either, so he and Chuck were in agreement that the people weren't prisoners, and should be able to come and go as they wanted, so he let them go. He still has no idea what the official position is. He said the people told him they were going to go to Wal Mart to shop and get job applications.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 3:53 PM

This is what's happening in Arkansas. It figures.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2005 4:05 PM