« Washington Democrats - Read This | Main | Why No Resignations »

October 27, 2005

Colors

Do the colors work, or should I go back to the green?

Update - OK, how about the left side still green but the right side changed?

Update - OK, how about with the right-side color on the left as well?

Update - OK, now with the same on both sides, but a lighter shade. I might like this one.

Update - OK How about the pink?

Update - OK back to green on the sides. Maybe if I change the pic so the colors match?

Posted by Dave Johnson at October 27, 2005 10:52 AM

Comments

I like it! Nice!

Posted by: mondo dentro at October 26, 2005 7:17 PM

Please go back to green. This color scheme doesn't work for me.

Just one reader's opinion.

Posted by: mere reader at October 26, 2005 7:44 PM

Dave:

The mustard color just does not look good, I say go for some color in the orange family.

Posted by: Night Bird at October 26, 2005 8:49 PM

I told you I don't like the new style, but it's not because of the color selection (which I slightly like). It's the crazy tree image with the unexplained dollar signs and the extremely strange light-colored tree in the center, the significance of which utterly escapes me. I hate it. But not for anything to do with color selection.

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 26, 2005 9:06 PM

WOW! Dave, for some reason my browser didn't show the new mustard stripe on the right when I composed my comment above. Please, allow me to take back what I said about the color -- I thought everyone was discussing the color in the top image -- IT'S HORRIBLE.

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 26, 2005 9:17 PM

The color on the right makes me queazy.

Posted by: EdSez at October 26, 2005 9:30 PM

Everyone seems to have redecorating frenzy lately!

Posted by: grannyinsanity [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 12:44 AM

The yellow's too loud to read off of, even if it's just for the sidebars, in my opinion. If it was toned down (that is, made paler), I think it'd help a lot. For example, Steve Gilliard's blog's center column is a yellow that's actually about the same hue as the sidebars here, but much lighter and thus less saturated. That's a yellow you can read off of fairly easily.

That said, I miss the green look.

Also, as long as I'm making requests, please clean up the blog layout or CSS or whatever it is that makes Firefox render the page so slowly... the white background of the center column comes in well after everything else loads.

I'm just an amateur design/web geek, and I wouldn't know _how_ to optimize a site's CSS. But I think it'd help.

Posted by: ArC at October 27, 2005 2:07 AM

Sorry, don't like the yellow and the site is taking much longer to load these days.

Posted by: Ellen at October 27, 2005 4:29 AM

I love the new look..Yellow is a happy color ...Thank you for all your hard work..

Posted by: Anonymous at October 27, 2005 4:55 AM

The link text in the sidebars is almost impossible to read due to the glare/interaction between the bright yellow and the "blue?" text link color... I run my screen at a high resolution, so the text was hard enough to read as it is.

I preferred the green, just because it was less "hot" and didn't jump off the page so much...

I don't get the single tree in the middle either? I like the $ now that I notice them, though.

Posted by: Thomas Leavitt [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 7:16 AM

The long loading is Blogrolling. They're having server problems.

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 7:55 AM

I think I get the single tree bit.

You can't see the forest for the trees, the tree seems to be more prominent and if you think about it you loose sight of the big picture.

Posted by: grannyinsanity [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 11:19 AM

I like it!

Posted by: PSoTD at October 27, 2005 12:24 PM

I love the picture. But the green on the sides was still the best.

Posted by: Dr. Laniac [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 1:20 PM

I like the sides the same color. If you want to change the picture...that is Ok, entirely up to you, but I do like your header.

Posted by: Night Bird at October 27, 2005 2:17 PM

Oh, I get it, the dollar signs represent all the income dollars the left wants to take away from us in their ill-conceived, pork-laden, and universially-failed social programs.

Posted by: Pericles at October 27, 2005 3:32 PM

I'll confess. Pericles is actually a computer program, designed to generate statements that parody the Right.

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 27, 2005 3:41 PM

I wish that were true, Dave. But, in reality, I am just a self-employed schulb who watches a huge amount of his income be eaten up by taxes that go into pork-laden bullcrap programs for the unproductive of our society.

Posted by: Pericles at October 27, 2005 4:11 PM

Sez Helga: the new colors work just fine, and I LOVE the dollar signs between the trees Dave!
Thanks for a great site which I visit each and every day even if I don't always comment.

Posted by: Helga Fremlin at October 27, 2005 4:30 PM

Pork-laden bullcrap programs for the unproductive of our society? Pericles must mean the billions upon billions in corporate welfare handed out through the Defense Department, NASA, etc. that dwarf funding for social services. Or is he referring to Medicare, and all those unproductive old people who worked hard all their lives?

Or perhaps he's just ignorant of the actual numbers? Take the City of Santa Cruz, for example, where "social services" funding amounts to $500,000 out of a budget of $120 million or so.

No, the working folks of America aren't getting soaked by the "unproductive" - they're getting soaked by the rich and the powerful, the folks who have the knowledge and connections to "game" the system.

Posted by: Thomas Leavitt [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 28, 2005 5:40 PM