« Comment problems again | Main | State of the Union Preview »

January 27, 2006

Encryption Software

Can anyone recommend good e-mail encryption software? I think maybe it is time to start encrypting.

I mean software that is usable by regular people - even bloggers - not "command-line." And can I trust it, or is it like the voting machines - made by companies owned by The Party.

Please leave suggestions - if the comments are working today.

Did I just get myself put on a watchlist? No fly list? Paranoid guy list?

Posted by Dave Johnson at January 27, 2006 8:11 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Encryption Software:

» File Encryption Software from File Encryption Software
Features include file shredder for complete deletion from PC and special command line controls. Reviews of Anti Virus, Firewalls, Anti Spyware, A... [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2006 10:35 AM

» Email Encryption from Email Encryption
Email encryption can be deployed using email encryption software, secure email servers or secure web... [Read More]

Tracked on May 11, 2006 7:10 PM

» Encryption Software from Encryption Software
Supports plausible deniability. It can also encrypt an entire hard disk partition or storage device. Also offer ellip... [Read More]

Tracked on May 24, 2006 10:50 AM

Comments

Thanks for the site, my comment is that I have been reading that everyone should start using this type of software. It's ubiquity will protect us, after all, if everyone's doing it...

Posted by: well, I'm paranoid too, see? at January 27, 2006 8:43 AM

SO tell me what software to use.

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 27, 2006 8:58 AM

Tell me how it works Dave. I don't have anything to hide and they could break the encryption codes anyway, but it is passive resistance.

It's another way of saying that I've lived too damn long with American propaganda about our freedoms to become a submissive subject and betray the Constitution that so many died to achieve.

Posted by: grannyinsanity at January 27, 2006 9:22 AM

I was checking out this site this morning, havn't tried anything yet.
Let me know what ya think,just leave a post

Posted by: scrugun at January 27, 2006 9:53 AM

This isn't weird. I use GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org/) and Thunderbird (latest release http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/releases/1.5.html).

It's dead simple. You are technically savvy enough to handle this one IMO, but if you need help, ping me. Happy to assist.

Dave From Battlefield

Posted by: Dave From Battlefield at January 27, 2006 10:06 AM

We are all under the watch of PROMIS software.

Posted by: The Prudent Investor at January 27, 2006 11:05 AM

I have developed a software product (www.DigiLockBox) for (optionally) encrypting and storing digital files of any format in a place inaccessible for other users of the computer. These encrypted files can be exported from DigiLockBox and emailed. The receiver of the file needs a copy of DigiLockBox and the eight character (minimum) password that was used to originally encrypt the file in order to open it.

It is my understanding that any encryption method used in the US must be authorized by the feds. This means that any encrypted file can potentially be opened by federal agencies. It is reasonable to believe technology can open any file, even encrypted ones, even while doing bulk searches (fishing expeditions), which the bush administration is currently doing without FISA and 4th Amendment oversight. Think twice before sending any vital proprietary or personal data, even encrypted, via the internet.

Posted by: jimbo at January 27, 2006 11:41 AM

Posted by: mike at January 27, 2006 11:54 AM

I'm going to say exactly what I said years ago when this first started to come up. Remember Echelon? Or are you too young? This was exactly the same kind of thing; using code words to pick up messages.

What I said back then was that there was NOTHING, NO BETTER WAY TO FLAG YOURSELF AS UP TO SOMETHING than to start encrypting messages. There's safety in numbers, and no matter how many of the damned code words you happen to use innocently, so will many millions of other people. Encode your messages, and you become one of an elite few they'll definitely watch. If you're gonna be paranoid do it right and think it through!

I've been tempted to try an experiment sending a message using every possible code word I could think of, to see what happens and if the Feds show up at my door. Haven't thought of a suitable receiver of this message, though, since I don't want to make someone else a target.

I tried something similar once with someone who was sure his mail was being examined. I sent him a certified letter I made look as sinister and interesting as I possibly could. For your eyes only on the envelope, stuff like that. Sure enough, he never got it. This kind of shit may be new to you kids, but to us old timers who were politically active in the 60s and 70s it's it's just more of the same old same old.

One of the GOALS of shit like this is to make people as paranoid as possible. Then, if you start talking about how the government is spying on you, your credibility goes right down the toilet because everybody knows that's a very bad symptom that you're crazy. Don't fall for it.

Posted by: MJ at January 27, 2006 12:14 PM

go here: www.steganos.com
and take a look at Steganos Security Suite 2006

Posted by: Jon at January 27, 2006 1:24 PM

If you use a Mac, the Mail application supports this and it is pretty simple. Go to the help menu and type in "encryption".

The trick is to create or obtain a key with which to encrypt your messages, and then distribute copies of your certificate to the people with whom you wish to correspond.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 27, 2006 4:06 PM

www.pgpi.com

Folks should encrypt ordinary messages on a regular basis. If lots of people do this for the ostensible reason of simply keeping private messages private, then it is not suspicious.

The main downside of using encryption is that the gov't can monitor your keystrokes to obtain your password keys.

The best way to hide anything is to have nothing to hide. To communicate with total security, take a hike in the woods. Meantime, use pgp in ordinary communications. That will maintain the expectation of privacy, in a legal sense, which will hamper the ability of the gov't to assert suspicious activity in court or to a judge in seeking a warrant.

Posted by: Nobody at January 27, 2006 4:35 PM

It's been "time" for about ten years now.

All current e-mail clients have encryption software built in. Look up "encryption", "digital signatures", or "S/MIME" in the docs. Using it is as simple as clicking a couple of buttons and perhaps typing a passphrase.

Before you can do signing/encryption, you need to get a "certificate". Thawte, Inc, will give you a "personal use no-identity" cert for free. Download the cert using the instructions on the Thawte site, load it into your e-mail program using its instructions, and you're up and running. To send somebody your public key so that they can send you encrypted messages, you just need to send them a digitally-signed e-mail.

That's it!

The truly paranoid use GPG, but the interfaces are a mess -- I don't recommend it.

If you need more info, drop me an e-mail.

Oh, and if the Spooks want ya, they'll just sneak in and install a keystroke monitor on your computer. Encryption won't do a darn thing in that case.

Posted by: lightning [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 27, 2006 7:02 PM

For my email encryption needs I have been using Digital Vault by StompSoft. I have been very pleased with this software as it allows me to make my email file attachments private. All I have to do is provide my recipients with the key and then no more worries.

I feel that file encryption should be a standard process for all of us, especially in this day and age. I say this because, you never know when your personal data may be compromised.

Posted by: Giles [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 18, 2006 2:06 PM