« Torture On TV - A Question | Main | Live Blogging from McDonald's »

January 31, 2006

Alito Sworn In - 5 States Readying Abortion Bans

Same-day service. Alito sworn-in, 5 states readying abortion bans.

Moonie Times, Sweeping anti-abortion laws proposed,

Legislators in at least five states are proposing bold anti-abortion measures as the Bush administration reshapes the U.S. Supreme Court, a report said.

With the goal of challenging the Roe vs. Wade ruling that ensured a woman's right to an abortion, lawmakers in Georgia, Indiana, Ohio, South Dakota and Tennessee propose banning all abortions except when the woman's life is in danger, Stateline.org reported.

If enacted, legal experts said the laws would be the first absolute abortion bans since the landmark 1973 ruling.

As I said earlier, don't be fooled by Senators who voted 'No' on Alito today but voted to end the filibuster. They put Alito on the court.

Posted by Dave Johnson at January 31, 2006 10:46 PM

Comments

Being a 50 yr. old born again virgin male, I really
don't give a damn about the abortion issue. I hope everyone affected by this is miserable.
By the silence of the general american public this was allowed to happen.
I,we,you voted these assholes into office and things will not change until people get their heads out of their asses.
My cynical attitude applies to other issues also.
Time for a complete regime change.
If a revolution begins I will be part of it.

Posted by: scrugun at February 1, 2006 5:04 AM

The American public was not silent. According to the only poll I saw, the American public was 70% opposed to the confirmation of Samuel Alito. Women's groups have been alerting the American public about the danger to Roe vs. Wade since his name came up. There have been meetings, demonstrations, newsletters, e-mail, petitions, etc. etc. since the beginning. Not just about abortion; about all the dangers having Alito on the court raises. If anyone got the impression that the American public has been silent, that's the result of lack of media coverage, not the fault of the American public. Now the American public is stuck with this piece of shit.

Posted by: MJ at February 1, 2006 7:06 AM

Well, that would be the problem wouldn't it. 50.5% put Bush there, and as far as you're concerned...whee, "I'm absolved of responsibility". Better concentrate on how to change your virginity status, since we won't be counting on you to help frame the debate, stay in the fight, or help out in any other way.

Posted by: Kvatch at February 1, 2006 12:49 PM

I didn't say or imply that I was absolved of responsibilty, don't frame me like that. I have my own areas, energy,envoirnment etc.
This post topic was addressing abortion which is a weak area for me. And I am keeping my born again virginity status so I don't have to deal with abortion. Sorry, but I do have mixed feelings on this issue.

Posted by: scrugun at February 1, 2006 1:23 PM

OK...sorry, maybe I was overly harsh. I just get hacked off at the hand-wringing "oh how did our country get into this terrible predicament," crowd, and your post seemed to be implying that the left was silent on this issue, but it's not so IMHO. Our leaders on the other hand... Bunch of whining, spineless, conservative-liters who lack cojones.

Posted by: Kvatch at February 1, 2006 1:43 PM