« Abramoff and the Conservative Think Tank Racket | Main | Away Friday »

January 5, 2006

Warp Drive

What do you think about this? Welcome to Mars express: only a three hour trip,

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

See also here for more details.

Posted by Dave Johnson at January 5, 2006 2:07 PM

Comments

is that the dimension where there are fewer republicans, allowing incredible progress to be achieved. Yeah, that one.

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 5, 2006 2:47 PM

Wasn't there a reporter who did an extensive article on the governments research into anti-gravity? I forget his name. I did a meandering search on this topic once and I came accross an article about how the Russians in co-operation with the US were developing a thruster that used electromagnetic fields for propulsion. I didn't save it unfortunately.

There is a lot of junk out there, but some intriguing tidbits too. Here is NASA's page on the warp drive.

Posted by: Brenda at January 5, 2006 2:56 PM

I like this line from the researcher:

"If the theory is correct then this is not science fiction, it is science fact."

Man. Can't argue with that logic. No wonder Dr. Strangl--er Hauser got the generals to give him tons of cash.

Posted by: mondo dentro at January 5, 2006 3:10 PM

As someone with a strong desire to see commercial space travel, the start of extraterrestrial terraforming and permanent offworld outposts in my lifetime, well, damn I hope that could work.

Posted by: natasha at January 5, 2006 4:20 PM

Will the first ship using this drive for a 'three hour" tour be named the Guppy?
;)

On a more serious note, seeing so many super-drives over the years, like the 1950s era Dean Drive that may have been an inspiration for Star Trek's "impulse" drive (http://www.jerrypournelle.com/science/dean.html#deandrive), that I've now got an "I'm from Missouri" attitude.

Interesting theory, show me a working model and I'll buy it.

Posted by: RepubAnon [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 5, 2006 9:01 PM