« Illegal to Have a Middle-Eastern Name? | Main | Heritage Foundation fires analysts, hires parrots... nobody notices a difference. »

February 17, 2006

Shooting Victim Apologizes -- The Pattern

Shooting victim sorry for Cheney's trouble.

The man who was accidentally shot by the US Vice-President says he is sorry for all the trouble Dick Cheney has faced.
His words,
"My family and I are deeply sorry for all that Vice President Cheney has had to go through this past week," Mr. Whittington said today.
Pic from TPM

A few years ago Bush Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill came out with a book saying Bush was planning to invade Iraq even before 9/11. He knew they were going to go after him for this, saying "And these people are nasty, and they have a very long memory. ... I'm an old guy, and I'm rich. And there's nothing they can do to hurt me." A few days later he retracted everything.

"People are trying to make a case that I said the president was planning war in Iraq early in the administration," O'Neill told NBC's "Today" show. "Actually, there was a continuation of work that had been going on in the Clinton administration with the notion that there needed to be regime change in Iraq."
Before that there was an article quoting John DiIulio after leaving the Bush administration, calling them "Mayberry Machiavellis." A few days later he issues an apology,
In my view, President Bush is a highly admirable person of enormous personal decency. He is a godly man and a moral leader. He is much, much smarter than some people-including some of his own supporters and advisers-seem to suppose. He inspires personal trust, loyalty, and confidence in those around him. In many ways, he is all heart.
And now we know this crowd is listening in on everyone's calls and e-mails. Are you really all that surprised that no one dares seriously oppose their takeover?

Posted by Dave Johnson at February 17, 2006 1:56 PM

Bookmark and Share

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Shooting Victim Apologizes -- The Pattern:

» Man shot by Cheney says it was 'accident,' leaves hospital from Unpartisan.com Political News and Blog Aggregator
The lawyer shot by Vice President Cheney during a hunting trip was discharged from a hospital on Fri [Read More]

Tracked on February 18, 2006 11:42 AM

Comments

And then there was author and conservative evangelist Doug Wead who inadvertantly said something unbecoming about the head man and found himself persona non grata in Repub circles, apology issued later notwithstanding.

Posted by: Bulworth at February 17, 2006 2:34 PM

Ooops. Wead had secretly recorded conversations with Bush during the campaign as a part of a book he was working on. The taped conversations later became public.

Posted by: Bulworth at February 17, 2006 2:38 PM

Clarification. Wead had secretly recorded conversations with Bush during the campaign as a part of a book he was working on. The taped conversations later became public. The Bushes weren't happy.

Posted by: Bulworth at February 17, 2006 2:39 PM

That's been true of Emperors since the Roman Empire. Got that pinch of incense ready to burn in honor of Bush's divinity yet?

Posted by: MJ at February 17, 2006 3:00 PM

It is pretty obvious that bush never had the capability to conduct an election campaign, but he was elected. So question is, who put him into this position? The folks who did this will never allow cheney to go, because then they will have lost the conduit to control bush. So they will lie, cheat, steal and maybe even kill to keep him there.

Some talk of cheney and bush as being part of the 'elites'. But in my book, their actions make them nothing but the most deplorable white trash. They can't be this stupid, can they? It has to be ignorance, doesn't it?

Oh, oh, a guy in a brown shirt is knocking on my door. Gotta go!

Posted by: jimbo at February 17, 2006 4:38 PM

Dave, I hope your cold is gone.

I'll admit that Paul O'Neill's post book release comments were peculiar - and that I'm not familiar with John DiIulio. I dont see, however a tie-in to the Whittington situation.

Unless your positing he would be telling another story in other (political) circimstances.

That'd be a fine read.

Posted by: bains at February 17, 2006 5:48 PM

I've even wondered whether physical fear didn't account for Kerry's feeble campaigning and McCain's transformation into a Bush pimp.

At this point I still don't believe that Wellstone was murdered, but if Kerry and McCain believed that he was, they might have suddenly become more persuadable.

Posted by: John Emerson at February 21, 2006 6:41 AM