« Code Words | Main | Something Big - Oversight »

July 3, 2006

Prayer In Schools

Jewish family flees Delaware school district's aggressive Christianity

A large Delaware school district promoted Christianity so aggressively that a Jewish family felt it necessary to move to Wilmington, two hours away, because they feared retaliation for filing a lawsuit. The religion (if any) of a second family in the lawsuit is not known, because they're suing as Jane and John Doe; they also fear retaliation. Both families are asking relief from "state-sponsored religion."

The behavior of the Indian River School District board suggests the families' fears are hardly groundless.

[. . .] Classmates accused Alex Dobrich of "killing Christ" and he became fearful about wearing his yarmulke, the complaint recounts. He took it off whenever he saw a police officer, fearing that the officer might see it and pull over his mother's car. When the family went grocery shopping, the complaint says, "Alexander would remove the pin holding his yarmulke on his head for fear that someone would grab it and rip out some of his hair."

Read on...

Posted by Dave Johnson at July 3, 2006 9:14 AM

Comments

This is actually worse than what I went through when I was a kid. I was one of only two Jews in my school. I got plenty of Jew-baiting and name calling from the students, but none from the faculty or administration of the school. The only times there were any particularly "Christian" activities were around Christmas and Easter, and these were not related to any one denomination but handled pretty well. And this was during the Nazi area, in a neighborhood with plenty of Nazi sympathizers.

As long ago as at least a generation the John Birchers and fanatical religious groups started taking over the school boards. The only way to reverse this trend and take the schools back is for people to get off their asses and run for the school board positions. Yes, it's work, but it's do it or you get what you're asking for.

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 10:08 AM

I've dug into this a bit over on my blog, for anyone who's interested. The Indian River School District also extolls the value of "a couple of swats on a student's buttocks, done in the privacy of an administrator's office".

Posted by: Bartholomew [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 2:23 PM

Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

I don't know what else to say.

In the city where I live, Jewish families tend to live in one area of town. I guess I know why now.

This reads like a horror movie.

Posted by: Bitty [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 3:47 PM

Wasn't the Rutherford institute the push behind the phony not-being-allowed-to-teach-The-Constitution lawsuit at Canyon Creek (?) Elementary lawsuit?

Unfortunately this is not the first instance of this type of behavior, and sadly it will probably not be the last. A few months ago I saw a film on this very subject, I don't recall the name, but it was produced by the same man who produced "Outfoxed".

Posted by: grannyinsanity [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 10:49 PM

What a glorious 4th of July holiday weekend. On Sunday in church we sang America The Beautiful, and tears welled in my eyes. It was so moving to be surrounded by people who love their country, and sing it out at the top of their lungs. People who understand that it's OK to be proud of themselves, their children, their church and their country, even though none of those are perfect. Happy and joyous people. I like their perspective on life.

Posted by: HappyOD [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 4, 2006 7:18 PM

What a delightful fantasy land you live in Happy.

I didn't go to church on Sunday, and I'm no less an American. And I'm proud of myself.

Posted by: Jenius [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 4, 2006 8:48 PM

I get tears too Happy.My Mothers birthday was the 4th of July so there are always those tears.The veterns in my family include my husband,father, father in law,various uncles, both of my grandfathers. A niece, a nephew.That is just within the last couple of generations.I can trace them back as far as the damn Mayflower, my family that is and every war since as far as I can figue some poor member of my family has been there.But it won't be my family I'll be discussing here.
I worked this fourth of July as I often do.My partner that day started talking about her brother.He did two tours in Viet Nam.Was exposed to agent Orange.He came home and became a law enforcement officer.Finally was forced to retire.He has a tumer somewhere between his eyes and his brain.He can no longer drive.He can't work but has been refused disability.He recently spent one whole day in a VA processing center in the twin cities.To be told at he end of that day,we have no money.We can't help you.Go home.All day sitting there.Took about ten seconds.We have no money go home.Happy 4th to you too Happy od.Hope it was a good one.
PS, you don't get exclusive rights to the tears that well in ones eyes when any one of us hear those glorious songs.Just may be that some of us understand what they say from a more up close and personal perspective then you maybe do.Or not.You sat there, the songs were so lovely,you looked around, everyone loved everyone.We all love our Children Happy idiot.That's why I am going down as supporting the draft.So you can prove to me that you love your country and your children just as damn much as the rest of us!

Posted by: knras [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 5, 2006 7:29 PM