« Suddenly One Or Two Terror Stories Each Day | Main | Today's Housing Bubble Post - More News Stories »

August 26, 2006

Free Music Downloads and MP3s

I was looking around the web today for music and thought I’d tell you about some of the stuff I found.

From Mike Crawford’s site, Links to Tens of Thousands of Legal Music Downloads,

You don't need to worry about getting sued by the Recording Industry Association of America or arrested by the FBI if you download legal music. Many independent and unsigned musicians offer downloads of their music in hopes of attracting more fans.
Some of the sites he lists include:
Jamendo - Open Your Ears
Ogg Frog Free Music Torrents - Bit Torrent downloads of Creative Commons-licensed music.
Trotch - Music is Timeless. The Music Business is Not.
Asian Classical Music in MP3 Format
Public Domain 4U - Best in Public Domain MP3s
kahvi collective - sound has the power to make the world a better place
micromusic - (I'm not sure how to describe it -- Mike)
Unsigned Band Web - We are a music portal featuring artists from all genres and all nations!
Motagator Music - Cajun, Zydeco, Folk, Roots and Blues music
ACIDplanet - your world of music
There’s lots more at his site, so go take a look.

I usually prefer independent artists to the commercial stuff, so I looked around and found a few sites, like GarageBand.com. Also take a look at ArtistGigs.com, ArtistLaunch.com and AudioStreet.net.

Meanwhile, MTV has a free music download site. Artist Direct Free Music Download MP3 looks OK and keeps a featured download list.

Leave a comment and lt me know about other places and good bands that you know about.

Posted by Dave Johnson at August 26, 2006 8:51 AM

Comments

I've been a member and contributor of Acid Planet for about 6 or 7 years now. I won't tell you my handle there (actually, I have 3), because my music sucks, but I'm glad to see you mentioned it, there are thousands of worthwhile artists there, just not me.
Acid Music is great loop editing software, just as good as Pro Tools, IMO.

Posted by: The Cosmic Fluke [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 26, 2006 5:41 PM

I'm a big fan of the Carnival Band (from Vancouver) and one of their members recently blogged about the Myspace profiles of a whole bunch of like-minded street bands. A lot of those profiles have downloadable songs too.

Posted by: ArC [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 26, 2006 11:58 PM

Ok, so hypocrisy will be the death of me, but you got me all tangled up in YouTube and now I got one for you, Dave-
I was a pretty big fan of this guy back when I was lonely and depressed, haven't listened to him in about 6 or 7 years now, but found this documentary clip today, actually it's a 2 part-er

Posted by: The Cosmic Fluke [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 9:10 AM

This is the last one, I swear. The previous one was excessive enough, this is all less then three days after I left a comment on salon.com about articles related to entertainment being more prevalent than the political commentary and reporting that I go there for...like Pete said and I plagiarized in the last post, "hypocrisy will be the death of me"

This has to be the best rock and roll video ever made, apparently by accident. I've seen the stills from this legendary and defining performance a thousand times, but until this morning and despite being a lifetime music trivia junky had never known there was a film of it...

I never thought I'd be saying something like this at Seeing the Forest, and I swear it will be the last, no matter what and blast this YouTube addiction for pushing me this far, but

here's Iggy and the Stooges in 1970, the birth of crowd-surfing was it's finest moment,
"that's peanut butter!"

Posted by: The Cosmic Fluke [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 9:45 AM

PS, the comments there by zeroXcrossing are great, too. Don't miss 'em.

Posted by: The Cosmic Fluke [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 9:57 AM

and now I'd better look into getting another alias as nobody who read these last posts will ever again take anything I have to say seriously.
Not that they ever did....

I know I wouldn't.

Posted by: The Cosmic Fluke [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 10:18 AM

I'm from Ann Arbor - used to go see Iggy and the Stooges all the time. My band played at things with them a few times. I was in their house a few times...

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 1:42 PM

Please, don't encourage me.

But on another level, no shit?!
that's pretty great, if you ask me.

Thanks for the time out, I'd really been scowling up til this little YouTube break. Too much news, and town's been dry for a month.
I hadn't really done too much of that (YouTubing) before, and it didn't take long for it to suck me in deep, there's some priceless stuff there.
I'm almost afraid to go there, I spend too much time on this thing already.
Nice blog, while I have your attention. We haven't always seen completely eye to eye, but it's always informative and entertaining. I recommend it a lot, which to some people is a warning flag to avoid it at all costs, but I think some people might take notice and add a feed.
You're at the top of My Google page, in the good company there of alternet, salon and truthout.
But happy as all that might be, I'm a potter, I'm broke, and can't spare a dime until my Lotto fantasies are realized. If that happens, though, you're taken care of, man.

Fluke.

Posted by: The Cosmic Fluke [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 27, 2006 4:32 PM

Thanks for the mention of Artistlaunch.com Many vary talented artists from a variety of genres host their music at Artistlaunch like the Los Lonely Boys, deSol, Joe Grushecky and Bruce Springsteen, Tina Dico, Alice Peacock and more. You can heard them on the internet radio stations of Radiofreetunes.com that are hosted by Artistlaunch.com Try our flagship station at http://www.artistaunch.com/radiofreetunes to hear the best of Artistlaunch.com

Cheers