August 29, 2006
-- by Dave Johnson
The summary of the ... inspector general’s report said the United States attorney’s office in Washington had been given the report and decided not to conduct a criminal inquiry into the matter.
- ... improperly hired a friend on the public payroll for nearly $250,000...
- ... used his government office for personal business, including running a “horse racing operation” in which he supervised a stable of thoroughbreds he named after leaders from Afghanistan, including President Hamid Karzai and the late Ahmed Shah Massoud...
- ... repeatedly used government employees to do his personal errands and that he billed the government for more days of work than the rules permit...
- ... hiring of phantom or unqualified employees...
- ... violated rules meant to insulate public television and radio from political influence...
His renomination by President Bush to another term ... is pending before the Senate. ... Emily Lawrimore, a White House spokeswoman, said President Bush continues to support Mr. Tomlinson’s renomination.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Will Bush Justice Dept. Investigate ANY Incidence Of Corruption?:
» Links From Left Blogistan for 30 August 2006 from Daai Tou Laam Diary
So today we start with the Red State Rabble checking in on America's Taliban in action on the airwaves. "The latest lunacy from one of our more fanatical right-wing American Christian television outfits, the Coral Ridge Ministries," writes John Brummett, [Read More]
Tracked on August 30, 2006 2:02 AM
Interesting. This is a case, I think, of defensiveness overcoming politics. He is up for confirmation, so the dems (we hope) will grill him on all this stuff. Some state AG can make a name for him/herself by going to a grand jury and getting charges against him. And the PR is terrible. And, no Rep. Senator up for re-election is going to give him a pass
So what is the AG thinking in nixing prosecution. The best move would be to prosecute with a public announcement tht the ADmininstration ws not aware of this and will not tolerate illegal behavior and try to get rid of a problem before the elections. All I can think of is (1) reflexive rally round one of ours; (2) why is this bad behavior - we do it al the time in the corporate world; (3) the radical right wants him on and demands the Admin fight (a losing) battle.
Go figure. This Administration gets loonier by the day
Posted by: dr o at August 31, 2006 9:18 AM
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)