« Breaking News About Exxon Funding Lies | Main | Malkin may get this guy killed »

January 4, 2007

Eating Bandwidth

Last month something ate up a tremendous amount of bandwidth at Seeing the Forest, costing me a lot of money. So now I regularly check bandwidth use.

Why has 209.160.72.10, HopOne in DC, been eating a HUGE amount of bandwidth? Gigabytes! What are they doing? (I banned them.)

Why has 220.226.63.254, an IP in India, been eating a tremendous amount of bandwidth? What are they doing?

Why has 195.225.177.46, an IP in Ukraine, been eating a tremendous amount of bandwidth? What are they doing?

Why has 62.194.1.235 AND 83.170.82.35 AND 89.136.115.220 AND 62.163.39.183 AND 212.241.204.145, all from the same company in Amsterdam, been eating a TREMENDOUS amount of bandwidth? What are they doing?

Why is 206.225.90.30 and 69.64.74.56 and Abacus America Inc.eating a TREMENDOUS amount of my bandwidth,

Posted by Dave Johnson at January 4, 2007 4:43 PM

Comments

I don't understand what you mean. In what sense are they "eating bandwidth"?

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 4, 2007 5:55 PM

They are hitting the site over and over, using up gigabytes of bandwidth that I have to pay for.

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 4, 2007 6:22 PM

Yeah, I've seen a huge bump in my blog's traffic, I haven't figured out what they're doing, but it ate like 4Gb of bandwidth last month. Now that you mention it, I checked last month's stats and yep, there's 209.160.72.10 producing 62% of my blog traffic. I did a little checking around the web and they're an obvious spam host. Banned.

Posted by: Charles [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 4, 2007 6:37 PM

This is definite spammer behavior. One problem is that the spammers keep trying to add comment or trackback spam and the traps don't catch the spam until after it's accessed the site and tried to add its garbage. What would work better is having a filter in your .htaccess file (depending how much you access you have to your host server).

For really egregious spammers, like the ones eating up your bandwidth, I've reported them to the owner of the domain region - that can put them out of business for awhile.

Posted by: Mary [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 4, 2007 10:52 PM

Of course! That is why my CGI page is so active - it's where the spam filters are working.

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 5, 2007 9:16 AM

was this on election night?

Posted by: dr o [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 5, 2007 11:30 AM