« YearlyKos Ask The Leaders Forum - Reid, Pelosi, Schumer, Emanuel | Main | JetBlue Caves To Right-Wing Intimidation, Calls DailyKos "Hateful" »

July 19, 2007

Five Years of Seeing the Forest

This week is Seeing the Forest's fifth anniversary.

The first post ("Welcome" doesn't count.): Ralph Nader is a Scab,

In the union movement we learned the hard way that the only way to fight the moneyed interests is to stick together. It's called SOLIDARITY. It's what "union" MEANS.

When unions are in a fight the members stick together, and those crossing the lines are called "scabs".

In the 2000 election it was the usual fragile Democratic coalition fighting the usual moneyed interests. Ralph Nader broke the solidarity, divided the coalition, and lost us the election. Ralph Nader is a scab.

This post the next day defined the theme of this blog:
Seeing the forest
Recent polls show that the public is blaming Clinton for the business scandals, and Bush's popularity remains astronomical. That's a tree.

Let's see if we can see the forest. Look back to the 2000 election. Step back and look at the candidates. The Democrat's candidate was a well respected, well liked, extremely experienced, Vietnam vet, former seminary student, character beyond reproach, faithfully married family man, foreign policy expert, with many accomplishments including being the person in the Congress most responsible for advancing the Internet... The Republicans ran a foul-mouthed thoroughly inexperienced scandal-ridden (Harken oil, Rangers stadium, recipient of bribes directed at his father) failed businessman, continuously bailed out of jams by his father's connections, draft-dodger (worse, he got into the Nat. Guard through connections and then played hooky!), former drunk, probable drug-user, kids constantly in trouble, with a campaign entirely financed by large corporations obviously looking for favors.

But by election time the only issue was “character”, and the character in question was the Democratic candidate’s! That's the forest.

Issues like the "Love Canal story" and "I invented the Internet" were trees. The forest was how they pulled it off - the smears, the propaganda blitz, the way they spread their message and the way people hear messages these days.

With this weblog I'll be writing about this issue, seeing the forest for the trees.

Posted by Dave Johnson at July 19, 2007 7:42 AM

Comments

You really set the theme for the next five years in that particular blog about the forest and the trees; great examples, too. Looking back, how could people have been so easily fooled?

Congratulations on surviving five years!

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 19, 2007 3:29 PM

Congratulations on surviving five years!

Posted by: MJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 19, 2007 3:30 PM

Keep up the good work Dave and we miss you here in Portland.

Posted by: Ron In Portland [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 19, 2007 9:25 PM

Thanks for 5 years of insight into and maddening exposure to the the right wing message machine.

I'm numb.

Have a cupcake :)

Posted by: BadGimp [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 19, 2007 10:36 PM

Happy blogiversary, Dave!

Posted by: Elayne Riggs [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 20, 2007 1:52 PM

May I wish you a most happy blogiversary with many more to follow. I have been offline for rather awhile, but, yours was one of the first sites I visited upon my return. I am truly happy to see you are still on the job. Well done!

Posted by: gbreez [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 20, 2007 3:05 PM

Posted by: gbreez [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 20, 2007 3:06 PM

Congratulations on your blogoversary, Dave. I too remember finding you back in 2002 helping us see the forest. And you keep on doing it so well.

Posted by: Mary [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 21, 2007 8:52 AM