« Here It Comes | Main | Cut That OTHER Spending! »

June 11, 2008

Will McCain Be Republican Nominee?

I think there is a growing chance that McCain will not be the Republican Presidential nominee. Their convention isn't until September and McCain just gets worse and worse. I really think they'll find a way to talk him out of running.

And no, I don't think it will be Larry Craig, even if their convention is in Minneapolis-Saint Paul.

Posted by Dave Johnson at June 11, 2008 8:22 AM

Comments

You are seriously demented.

Posted by: Michael at June 11, 2008 10:00 AM

Is there any way for him not to be nominated? Other than his freeing up the votes committed to him, that is. I don't think that, once the media operations really begin in the fall, it matters how bad he looks.

Posted by: John at June 11, 2008 11:29 AM

Well I wrote "I really think they'll find a way to talk him out of running."

A lot of these Republicans face jail time if we have an honest Justice Dept. And a number of administration officials will be visiting the Hague for launching aggressive war and torture. So you can BET they want a better candidate.

I'd bet there is serious pressure on McCain to step aside since his "green screen" speech.

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 11, 2008 11:39 AM

Well, that door is opening for Jeb to step through.

Posted by: mainsailset [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 11, 2008 12:08 PM

It seems to me that the McCain candidacy repeats a pattern that the Republican party follows.sometimes.

That is:
They nominate some old fart who's been around Washington forever and doesn't really believe in canonical conservative principles. So-called "real conservatives" usually don't like the guy very much. Then they run a lousy campaign and lose honorably.

The last time they did this was Dole in 96. Before that, Ford in 76.

Posted by: Jay Muntz [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 11, 2008 7:58 PM

> Well I wrote "I really think they'll find a way to talk him out of running."

Mega Culpa. I keep griping over others who can't read what's plainly stated. So of course, I missed that particular sentence. Ahhhhh! My apologies.

Posted by: John at June 13, 2008 2:01 PM

David, I think the reason that McCain won't be dumped is that he still has a connection to middle-of-the-road voters whereas the rest of the Republican field has seriously alienated the middle. Romney might be more 'business-friendly'.

Newt has incredibly deep negatives due to big head and arrogance. (not a redundancy he does physically have a huge head out of proportion that is unpleasing on TV)
If Obama stays as smooth as he's been he's got a big chance but don't count McCain out...look how he came from very back in the field to knock out all the contenders in the primary. Even though I want the Democrats to win....I wouldn't bet on Obama except in a toss of the coin at this time...even if In-Trade gives Obama 61 over McCain's 38.

Posted by: datadave at June 18, 2008 6:36 PM

I think McCain has a terrific chance of winning - I believe the Maverick thing still works and Obama will look too risky.
I think the strategery is to get him in and then he gets sick or something. I am very interested in who they pick for VP - because I believe the goal is for that person to be Prez.

Posted by: mmmoss [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 2:03 PM