« Sirota Goes There | Main | WhiteHouse.gov »

January 19, 2009

A Metric For Right-Wing Opinion Influence

This poll measures people's understanding of global warming. I think it effectively measures the power and reach of the right's media machine -- on an issue campaign funded by Exxon. This is worth understanding as we go into fights for health care, etc. The insurance companies will learn from this and match Exxon's effort and poison the health care debate.

44% Say Global Warming Due To Planetary Trends, Not People,

Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Democrats blame global warming on human activity, compared to 21% percent of Republicans. Two-thirds of GOP voters (67%) see long-term planetary trends as the cause versus 23% of Democrats. Voters not affiliated with either party by eight points put the blame on planetary trends.

. . . While 64% of Democrats say global warming is a Very Serious problem, just 18% of Republicans and 33% of unaffiliated voters agree. Twenty-seven percent (27%) of GOP voters say it’s no problem at all, a view shared by 19% of unaffiliateds and only four percent (4%) of Democrats.

Forty-three percent (43%) of female voters also rate global warming a Very Serious problem, compared to 38% of men. Twenty-three percent (23%) of male voters say it is not at all a problem, but only nine percent (9%) of women agree.

Exxon wins.

Posted by Dave Johnson at January 19, 2009 5:32 PM

Comments

Hmm, the numbers really haven't changed in the past few years. What's also scary is that many GOP politicians aren't just taking this stance politically - many of them actually believe it. You're right - Exxon wins. "Muddying the waters," indeed...

Posted by: Batocchio [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 20, 2009 10:25 AM

The National Climate Date Center says the mean annual temperature in 2008 was
53.03 degF
The NCDC says the average from 1895 to 2008 was
52.86 degF

So it is .17 degF higher than the average.

That is within normal variation. This is why AGW is not garnering more support.

Posted by: Mace [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 20, 2009 3:59 PM

Mace -

In the past, on this blog, I have pointed out how Exxon is putting out millions to fund global warming deniers.

Let me ask you a question. Are you paid by Exxon to deny global warming? Or, with Exxon out there paying people very well to deny global warming, are you just doing it for free? If that is the case, don't you feel pretty silly doing it for free?

Posted by: Dave Johnson [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 20, 2009 4:13 PM

Dave I decided to do some IV (independent verification) last summer because this is such an important issue. Either we need to fix AGW or we need to avoid a huge opportunity cost of wasted resources.

I found all annual temperatures since 1998 have been cooler than 1998. I found that Antarctica today has 10% more sea ice than the average. I found that the Northern Hemisphere had the highest amount of snow cover in 2008 since records began in '66. (a. British Meteorologic, b. NASA's NSIDC, c. Rutgers U)

So I let folks know what I see in the data sets.

I make money by growing pine trees in Miss. They are also a great carbon sink. The MS Forestry Assn ran an article on it but so far it looks like I'd only get about $6 per acre and there is bureaucracy.

I also make money putting my limited capital at risk in companies like Nutracea. They have an FDA approved patent to stabilize rice bran. Amazing that 90% of the worlds rice bran is thrown away because enzymes cause it to become rancid in about +48 hours. Thousands of tons of rice bran are dumped. So I have invested in Nutracea, open market, and lost about say $10K. But when it recovers to its 2007 levels, I hope to make a years salary. I am pretty good but I am not Buffet or Soros. You can see some good summaries at Yahoo Finance message board for ntrz. You've been around so you know to do your own DD. If the companies seven plants in the US and one plant in Brazil operate at 95% as planned next year, I think your $55 for 100 shares will make +$100 next year.

And congrats to the Dems. You beat the Repubs fair and square.

Posted by: Mace [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 20, 2009 5:38 PM

Oh and CNN shows you have most climatologists supporting your position. I can understand why you'd be skeptical of my skepticism.

Posted by: Mace [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 20, 2009 5:43 PM