« Republican Infrastructure | Main | Who Opposes American Manufacturing? II »

September 2, 2009

Right-Wingers Are Some Nasty, Weird People

They showed the video below about public service in a school in Utah. Right winders are calling it "radical leftist propaganda." Watch the video for yourself. I guess it's "leftist" because there are black people in it? Is not using too much gas, or not using plastic bags "leftist?"

Parents upset over 'leftist propaganda' video - Salt Lake Tribune,

Children at Eagle Bay Elementary School in Farmington were shown a short video called "I pledge" on Aug. 28. The video opens with an image of President Barack Obama and part of a speech in which he says, "Let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other." The video then features celebrities making pledges about how they will help the president and the world -- and that's where some say the problem lies.

. . . "Showing the video in a public school is completely inappropriate," said Jennifer Cieslewicz, whose daughter is a first-grader at the school. "I don't believe a video such as this that promotes certain values should be shown to elementary students, especially without parents being aware. "

. .. "It's very inappropriate to show a radical, leftist propaganda piece that political to children," Ruzicka said. "If parents want their children to learn about those things and do them in the home, wonderful, fine, but it's not the place of the school to show a one-sided propaganda piece to children without parents knowing about it."

You should read the comments that follow the article!
Wow, that video is like something you would expect to see in an Islamic or Communist country where they are brainwashing their children. Creepy.

Here's the video:

Update - Barack Obama is President of the United States. Deal with it.

Posted by Dave Johnson at September 2, 2009 10:43 PM

Comments

Firstly, as much as you may want and need to beleve that all right-wing people are racist monsters who pollute for a good time, we are not. I have noticed the liberal's mind is becoming increasingly narrower and narrower. The old tricks and name calling from the left is just tired. And how has that worked out for you guys lately? But you never learn. It's the same tactics over and over. I beleve someone called that insanity.

Secondly, it is not the video itself that is odd, it is the fact that it is being shown in classrooms to our children. This particular video on it's own seems fairly low-key, but it is a small part of something larger here. There are posters in my daughter's school with Obama on them saying "What can YOU do?" I think this administration and the wackos surroudning and managing Obama are doing some of the weirdest things that are making people uncomfortable. He is everywhere. Showing up in the most unusual parts of my life that maybe I dont want him in. He is a radical. The fact that he has not come out to say it tells us he is also a coward and liar. His entire administration is full of liars that new and creepy things keep coming out of the woodwork. Not just rumors, these are things that are self admitted or can be proven by recent statements and facts.
I appreciate encouraging commuity service and being there for your neihbors. I dont want Dakota Fanning and Ashton Kuthcer telling my kids that they need to "pledge to Obama." That is terrifying. I pledge to my country. I will NEVER pledge to one person. That is maybe the scariest part of the video. Not the black man.
And I think I can speak for many when I say, I dont care what a bunch of celebrities think. All they do is give a small amount of money to a charity probably named after them and with plenty of cameras around, and then they go and buy a new 80 grand tricked out SUV and a new 30 grand purse. Please.
Let's put this on the other foot. Would the left be or not be flipping out if there had been "I pledge to Bush" videos being shown in schools? Yes. It must be difficult to see through all that hypocrysy.

Posted by: Lessthanevil [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 2:25 AM

I watched the whole boring, celebrity-worshiping pile of crap so I could refute Lessthanevil's ridiculous claim that kids are being told to "pledge to Obama". Guess what? They are not being told to "pledge to Obama". They are being told -- among many other pledges -- to "serve Barack Obama" or be "a servant of president Obama". I'm speechless. The right-winger is absolutely right (though his quotes are inaccurate, and he's off on a bunch of unrelated paranoia, of course). I really hate to say this, but the idea of pledging to serve Barack Obama reminds me of the pledge of personal loyalty German officers were made to swear to Hitler. It's obnoxious. Genuinely obnoxious. And, as a person with politics radically different than Obama's (to his left), I find it a bit scary.

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 8:40 AM

Shhh... Can you hear that? I THINK we just had a right-winger and a left-winger AGREE on something. There may be hope for us yet.

(Turns quietly and leaves slowly so as not to disturb the momentous meeting of minds.)

Posted by: willickers [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 9:00 AM

LOL

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 9:16 AM

Agreed on all the above. Hitler was the 1st thing to come to mind. This would have been fine and dandy if they had not put those 2 serve Obama comments in.
This is leftist because every single person in this video is a leftist, promoting a leftist agenda, and asking our kids to "serve Obama," a leftist president. Not because there is a black person in it. Racist is being thrown around too casually right now. That crossed the line.
Even if it is a scary video the only aspect that I care about is that it is shown to elementary school kids. There are some comments in there that are not appropriate for school viewing and it is just like Lessthanevil said. This president is everywhere and in places he as no business.
What's next? Spongebob telling pre-schoolers to serve? This has to stop. Obama needs to quit trying to make everyone fall in line with the liberal-leftist idea of a perfect world, and spend more time managing the country and following through on some of his campaign promises. It almost seems like he has forgotten what country he is in charge of here. He has us confused with China or something.

Posted by: hatinonhillbilly [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 11:26 AM

I am also left-leaning and I too must second the idea that this video was slightly disturbing. Not nearly as bad as some make it out, but it did not sit well with me either.

I too was impressed to see some agreeance on this site. I felt warm and fuzzy toward my fellow American's for just a second or two. Before I remembered these are scum-sucking republicans talking. It was nice for a moment.

Posted by: GoGreenSaveOurWorld [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 11:38 AM

To hatinonhillbilly: Your name and your comment are a paradox. Are you being ironic?

Posted by: GoGreenSaveOurWorld [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 11:42 AM

FYI, not every person in the video is a "leftist". Far from it. Kutcher is a libertarian asshole. Don't know about all the others.

Posted by: richard [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2009 1:34 PM

Here's the video info:

"2009 promises to be a historical and exciting year filled with lots of hope, change and community service. To encourage ever greater levels of service throughout the country, MySpace and Katalyst Media, a production company co-founded by Ashton Kutcher and Jason Goldberg, teamed up with celebrities to record their personal pledges of service. The moving pledges illustrate how they will help make the nationwide change, inspired by President-elect Barack Obama, a reality. Directed by Demi Moore, the videos will be presented to President-elect Barack Obama during the inauguration festivities."

So, somehow, a video co-produced by a Rupert Murdoch company is a piece of "leftist propaganda"? Obama "propaganda", yes - and the context in which it was produced makes that clear. Propaganda in favor of "service", as well: "communication aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position". Which, in the context of an assembly promoting service, makes a lot of sense!

... and this wasn't shown in a classroom, as an instructional component. It was selected by the *PTA* - PARENTS, not teachers or school administrators, and shown in an assembly as one element of a much larger and longer event on the school's theme for the year, "service" (obviously to the larger society).

We don't know how it was introduced, we don't know the context in which it was placed, how the larger event went, etc. That said, I can understand how, presented without context, in a way that implies the school endorses the content of the video itself, rather than the theme, conservative parents could be upset. That doesn't mean I think the video's inappropriate for a school environment, given the right framework for presentation.

I, personally, love the video. I, personally, would be totally o.k. with this being used in a classroom environment - you can't tell me elementary school kids don't know what "the finger" is. The only caveat would be that I'd want the teacher to put it in context - state that the video was produced for President Obama's inauguration and that as a result there are elements of it that reference issues, such as stem cell research, etc. which not everyone agrees upon, and which the two candidates (and the previous President) disagreed on.

If the teacher points these issues out, and uses the video as a way of opening up the space for discussion - maybe suggesting that some of these topics might be good to do a research paper on and develop your own opinion about, I think it would be a great way of introducing the topic of, "what would your service to the larger society be?" and exploring the concept and theme.

What the fuss here is *really* about, underneath it all, and the really dangerous part of the reaction, is the idea that students shouldn't be exposed to "controversial" points of view and opinions. These people aren't objecting to the fact that the context may have implied official endorsement of the positions in the video by the school, ***they're objecting to the fact that the issues the video referenced were raised at all in a school context***.

If you follow the logic of some of the parents, then a student report on recycling, or stem cell research, or a research report on slavery, etc. would be totally inappropriate. Note, too, the one sided nature of the article: the PTA leaders were not quoted, nor was a single non-lunatic parent quoted.

Posted by: Thomas Leavitt [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 5, 2009 9:27 AM